How to Make Vegetarian Stuffed Green Bell Peppers

I have a funny feeling that I'm going to be suffering from green pepper overload this summer.  I'm not complaining.  Green peppers, in my opinion, are one of the best vegetables on the face of this planet.  I love them on pizza, in salads, stir fry and even raw straight out of the garden.

So when I went out to the garden this morning, I was tickled pink to see that the pepper plants were loaded and that some of them were even ready to pick.  YUM.  I immediately thought about stuffed peppers because it has been years since I've had any and I kinda like them.



This recipe is my own creation.  While it does have a few ingredients like whole grain brown rice that are a staple in a stuffed pepper recipe, the rest was made up from what I had on hand today from the garden and my fridge.  You can of corse make substitutions.  For example, if you do not have any or like kale you can always use spinach.  Shallots would be a great substitution for the onions and any of the herbs can be left out or you could even add more.  Let your imagination out.  After all, cooking is a form of art and you, as the cook, are the artist so it doesn't have to be exactly the same every time.

Anyway, I hope you love this cheesy, vegetarian stuffed green bell pepper recipe.



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.



Ingredients:

  • 4 medium size green peppers
  • 2 cups of cooked whole grain brown rice
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clover of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped kale
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped genovese basil
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup mozarella cheese
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
How to Put it Together:

Wash the green peppers, cut the tops off and clean out the insides.  Chop all of the herbs and vegetables and grate the cheeses.  Be sure to save the tops to the peppers.



Break out your skillet and hope that it looks better than mine does.  :)  Before anyone says anything, I know how bad teflon is for you and I do realize that the pan is pretty scratched up.

Anyway...


Put the olive oil in the skillet and turn it on to medium heat.  Once the oil is hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.  Turn the heat down to medium/low and let this cook for a few minutes until the onion is translucent and the carrot softens up a bit.



Add the kale, basil and flat leaf parsley.  Stir it around and allow it to cook until you can smell the herbs.  Turn the heat down to low.


Add the cheeses.  Gently stir until the cheeses begin to melt.


Find a baking dish for your peppers and stand them up in the dish.




Using a small spoon, stuff the peppers with the mixture that is in the skillet.  I packed them tightly.  Put them back into the baking dish.


Put the tops on the peppers and put the dish into the oven.  Bake for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how mushy you want your peppers.  I like my peppers to retain a bit of their snap so I always go with 30 minutes.


Once they are done, allow them to cool for a few minutes before plating.


I serve them with sour cream because it tastes fantastic with the filling.


There's a whole lot of yum right there!  Hopefully you'll like these as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment