Simple Homemade Tater Tots with 4 Ingredients

I was at the grocery store yesterday and decided that I really wanted to make tater tots.  There are a few foods that I have seriously missed since I stopped eating anything that has been processed in a factory and tater tots have been at the top of my "I really, REALLY miss you" list... until I made my own.

Where in the hell have you been all my life?

Once you discover these, you will want to tell the "Big O" where they can shove their processed, fake tasting creation that they try to pass off as tater tots.  It literally takes longer to bake the potato than any other step in making these.  Including the time that these little gems sit in the freezer (and you could technically skip that step) you can have a plate full of yumminess in less than an hour.  Don't even get me started on the cost savings that is available to you here.  It's unbelievable.

One of the things about these that is even more awesome is that you can make them in large batches and keep them in the freezer for when you want them.  Just like having the package from the "Big O" but the flavor and nutritional value are better.

No special tools are needed.  You need a fork, a knife, a bowl, a baking sheet or two and that's it.  I always cover my baking sheets with parchment paper but it's only because I'm OCD when it comes to that.  It's completely not a necessity.

You can expect to get approximately 10 large tots out of each potato that you use.  You'll want to use 2 green onions for each potato along with 1/2 teaspoon of salt for each one.  Adjust the salt to your liking but please don't skip it.  We are talking about potatoes here and potatoes need salt.  The panko bread crumbs bring in a nice crunchy exterior that just puts these guys over the edge.

This recipe makes approximately 40 tots.  I usually make them in much larger batches but I thought we'd start small so you can give them a try without being overwhelming.

Try them and enjoy!

Ingredients

4 large Russet potatoes (already baked and peeled)
4 green onions
approximately 2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Prep Time: 40 minutes  Cook Time: 8 minutes  Total Time: 48 minutes  Yeilds: about 40 tater tots

How to Make Homemade Tater Tots



Make sure that your potatoes are completely baked through and peeled.  Remove any bad spots.  The potatoes should feel a little bit sticky to the touch.


Finely mince your green onion and cut your potatoes into hunks.  You don't HAVE to cut the potatoes but I've found that it makes it easier to mash them with the onion if you do.  You are essentially making lumpy mashed potatoes without the butter, cream or milk.


Mash the potato pieces a couple at a time with part of the minced green onion and salt.  Alternating helps make sure the onion and salt are even throughout the potato mix.


All mashed together, this is about what it will look like except for you should see more onion.  I only had 2 onions today so that's all I used.  :(


Pour the panko bread crumbs into another bowl.  Now you are going to shape your tater tots and bread them.  Make sure your baking pan is ready and close by before you start because the potato mixture will be sticky and get all over the inside of your hands.


Using a teaspoon, pick up some of the potato mix.  Try to keep the size of each tot uniform so they freeze and cook in unison.


Shape the tot with your fingers.




Roll your newly formed tater tot in the panko.  Don't push on it, just roll it.  The panko will automatically stick to the tot.  Be sure to coat both ends.


Put each finished tater tot onto your baking pan.


They will be nicely coated and uniform in size.  Place them in the freezer for approximately 20 minutes so they can firm up.


I know some of you will cringe when I tell you that I fry these in lard.  I will only say that vegetable oil is not a real fat.  The difference between lard and vegetable oil is like the difference between butter and margarine.  Lard and butter are real fats.  Vegetable oil and margarine are man made fakery, processed and taste like crap.

350 degrees is the sweet temp for these.  You'll want about 3/4 an inch of fat in the pan or you can use a deep fryer.


 
Fry the frozen tots for about 8 minutes total keeping an eye on them and turning them as each side browns.  You are only cooking these to brown the panko.  The potato and onion are already cooked and safe to eat.


Once they are crispy and golden brown, pull them out of the hot lard and put them on a paper towel to drain and cool.  You can sprinkle them with additional salt if you want.

I ate this batch with a side of my tomatillo ketchup and have to say, they were excellent.  Maybe one of these days I'll give up the recipe for that ketchup.  It's tangy, sweet with a little heat and compliments these tots very nicely.  Until then, tomato ketchup is the side of choice.



If you make these, let me know what you thought!

Happy eating my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment